HISTORY OF COUNCIL 5561
Father Herman J. Veger
Father Herman J. Veger was born in Rotterdam, Holland on August 28, 1902. At the age of 16, he entered the minor seminary at Gemert, Holland and then attended the major seminary at Fribourg, Switzerland. In 1932, he came to the United States and served in the Richmond diocese at several parishes, arriving at St. John’s in 1949.
Father Veger was known as the “St. Joseph of St. John’s.” He spent a great deal of time repairing and improving the church and the rectory which, at the time, was located on Lee Street. He added a second floor kitchen to the rectory. According to Ann Veger, his sister-in-law, who served as his housekeeper he was always moving walls and doing other remodeling jobs.
Father Veger built the recreation hall next to the old church in 1947 and installed new pews in the church. Father Veger could also be seen traveling around the countryside visiting his flock. He supported the Choir, woman’s club, and helped out at the Vint Hill Chapel, performing regular Sunday baptisms and converting many. Well-liked by his parishioners, he was known for his sense of humor, a ready smile, and short, to the point sermons.
In 1957, Father Veger was transferred to St. Leo’s Church in Fairfax. Before he left Warrenton he had planted the seeds of a Knights of Columbus Council. Father Veger died on July 22, 1961 and is buried in Fairfax Memorial Gardens.
In 1964, there was the question of a name for the new K of C Council at St. John’s. A council cannot be named for a living person. At the April 24th meeting five names were suggested. The name Father Veger was easily the most acceptable as some of the men voting had known him before his death in 1961. The new St John’s K of C Council 5561 was called the Father Veger Council.